Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Stupids Die

The Stupids Die
by Harry Allard, illustrated by James Marshell
Ages 6-8
*

 A look into a day in the life of the Stupids where things are done a little differently: everything is a little backwards, upside down or not quite right.  On this day the Stupids believe they have died when there is a power outage and their dog Kitty and Cat Xylophone seem to be holding the house together.

I did not find this book incredibly controversial but I also did not find it to be "quality literature".  The story is questionable because the familie's last name is stoopid and everything they do is stupid but presented in a humourous manner because everything is so far from "normal".  Of course it is not nice to call people stupid and this could encourage name calling.  However I think the real problem is that it suggests that when people do anything different or have routines that are not "normal" they are stupid, less inteligent, of less value as people.  I do not think children should be encouraged to think that there is only one right, valued way to do things.  I do not think this book is any real harm,  the family memebers actions are so unexpected and over the top children will find them hilarious.  It is especially entertaining to see how the family pets are the brains in the family who have to turn on the power when the Stupids think they have died and sleep in the bed while the family sleeps underneath.  However I think this book could be discoraging to diversity and accepting people who are different than yourself.  I do not think the writing is especially entertaining or witty so I do not feel like the decision to use this book is a dilemma. 

I would not read this book to my classroom. I do not think it has great literary value and there are so many other quality books to read.  However I do not think it is a real threat to children and I recognize its appeal so I might have it available in my classroom if I know the students enjoy it.  I might do a brief talk on how this is not the way we should treat people although it may be funny in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment